Murray Hill Landmarks
The Lost Treasures of Murray Hill Came to Life in a Talk by Tom Miller
Tom Miller’s talk, "Lost Treasures of Murray Hill,” presented on April 2nd was a rousing success. A sell-out crowd at the Center for Applied Judaism on 39th Street heard Tom tell tales of Old New York and our neighborhood’s most prominent buildings. Tom's lecture highlighted exceptional buildings like the 34th Street Armory, the Murray Hill Hotel and the Havemeyer Mansion, buildings which once graced our area, but were lost to the wrecking ball. The lecture was very timely, as the Preservation & Design Committee continues to do its work to extend landmark protection to more of the historic buildings in Murray Hill. Potential redevelopment would put many historic buildings at risk, thus highlighting the importance of the work of the P&D Committee.
Our LPC Proposal to Landmark 29 Buildings in Murray Hill - Update
The P&D Committee identified 29 buildings worthy of landmarking in Murray Hill and requested landmark status for those building from the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commisison. In October, we received a disappointing response from the LPC. They have chosen only 3 of the 29 buildings for consideration.
We will let you know if these properties come up for a hearing at the LPC, although we think it will not be soon. In the meantime we will continue working to acquire landmark status for more buildings in order to preserve and protect the historic residential core of Murray Hill.
Photo: 38 East 38th Street
LPC Proposes 12 buildings in Greater East Midtown for Landmark Status
At a public meeting on May 10, 2016 the Landmarks Preservation Commission identified twelve buildings that merit landmark designation and contribute to the rich historical and architectural context of Greater East Midtown. The proposal is part of the NYC Administration’s larger effort to plan for the future of one of New York City’s most dynamic neighborhoods.
Spotlight on Murray Hill’s Landmarks - NYC Landmarks Celebrating 50 Years
In each article we will feature a few of Murray Hill’s landmarked buildings. We begin with the buildings that have had landmark status the longest:
1966: The Morgan Library at 29-33 East 36th Street
1967: The set-back Federal house at 152 East 38th Street
1975: The DeLamar Mansion at 233 Madison Avenue
1979: The Church of the Incarnation at 205-207 Madison Avenue
Spotlight on Murray Hill’s Landmarks
This is the second article to feature a group of four landmark buildings in Murray Hill. The landmark buildings are presented in the order that they became landmarked. This series of articles is part of NYC Landmarks50 Alliance, the multi-year celebration of the 50th anniversary of New York City's Landmarks Law.
1979: Lanier Mansion, 123 East 35th Street
1979: Adelaide Douglas House, 57 Park Avenue
1979: Thomas Clark House, 22 East 35th Street
1997: Bowdoin Carriage House, 149 East 38th Street
Spotlight on Murray Hill’s Landmarks
This is the third article in a series that features a group of landmark buildings in Murray Hill. The landmark buildings are presented in the order that they became landmarked:
1997: Jonathan W. Allen Stable
1998: J. Hampden Robb Mansion
2002: J.P. Morgan, Jr. Mansion
This series of articles is part of NYC Landmarks50 Alliance, the multi-year celebration of the 50th anniversary of New York City's Landmarks Law.
Spotlight on Murray Hill Landmarks
This is the fourth and last article featuring fourteen individual landmark buildings in historic Murray Hill, presented chronologically by the date that the building was designated as a landmark. The Murray Hill Neighborhood Association’s Preservation & Design Committee has been an active participant with the Landmarks50 Alliance’s two-year celebration to honor landmarks in all five boroughs of the City. The LM50 celebration continues through 2016.
2008: The Allerton 39th Street Hotel, 45 East 39th Street
2010: Beaux Arts Style Mansion, 36 East 38th Street
2011: The Union League Club, 38 East 37th Street
Landmarks Preservation Commission designation documents for The Murray Hill Historic District
Related websites and articles
National Register of Historic Places Map of Murray Hill 2014
The NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission
The LPC's Discover NYC Landmarks Map
The Historic Districts Council
The NYC Landmarks50 Alliance
Tom Miller's Daytonian in Manhattan blog
New York Times 1914 article on Murray Hill Deed Restrictions
Wikipedia article about Murray Hill
Victoria California Clafin Woodhull, a Murray Hill resident, was the first woman to run for President, nominated by the Equal Rights Party in 1872.
December 2016, Smithsonian Magazine, Untangling the History of Christmas Lights, This bright idea was ahead of its time, by Jamie Malanowski. In 1882, in a townhouse at 136 East 36th Street in New York City, Edward Hibberd Johnson...loyal lieutenant to Thomas Edison was the embodiment of his era: part engineer, part businessman, part Barnum. In 1871, Johnson hired Edison, then a 24-year-old inventor, as a consultant for the Automatic Telegraph Company. Edison “ate at this desk and slept in a chair,” Johnson later recalled. “In six weeks he had gone through the books, written a volume of abstracts, and made two thousand experiments...and produced a solution.”
Restoring Vintage Buildings: When Home Is History, 2017 May, cooperator.com, by Georgia Kral.